Sunday, February 22, 2009

Turkish Tea

I love exploring tea customs from across the world. There is both depth and expanse to tea. It is a study in world cultures, for certain!

I am fortunate to live in a University community, which means I have access to fabulous ethnic restaurants. The DH and I are both adventurous eaters, and we love exploring new places. Having said that, one place we go to repeatedly (and there aren't many repeats for us) is a Turkish restaurant. Of course, one of the highlights for me is the Turkish Tea.

Turkish Tea is made and served in stacked teapots. Hot water is made in the larger pot, and a concentrated tea in the smaller pot on top. The tea is served by pouring some of the concentrate into a glass cup and then diluting with water. It's a very visual feast!

6 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

How special! I love the idea and the photo (one handed typing because Bucky is hot happy unless he is perched on mt shouler --- funny cat!)

la tea dah

Linda Jennings said...

I love new tea adventures! Tahnks for sharing.

Marilyn Miller said...

I don't think I have seen Turkish Tea served, fascinating!

Teresa's New Life said...

How nice that you have such a diverse culture in your little town. It sounds like a fun time being served the Turkish Tea. How's the food?

Steph said...

@Teresa - The food is great! We had an eggplant dip appetizer, a three-salad plate of cous cous, cabbage with olive oil and lemon, and tomatoe/cuke salad. The main course was a pide - a bread boat with toppings and cheese. We had asparagus on ours.

Anonymous said...

I think I had the Turkish tea when mom and I visited once...I really liked it...it was strong, but I like strong teas. The pide was very yummy, too!!
Keri
P.S. I'm still dealing with my feelings of jealousy about Maya Angelou...pray for me! :)