Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pretty

When my niece was born and I met her for the first time, I whispered in her ear what I knew to be true,  "You're amazing.  You are smart and strong and creative.  You are compassionate and kind and giving."  I also told her she was pretty, but I tried then - and continue trying - to make that subservient to far more important qualities. 

Today I found this recording of Katie Makkai at a poetry slam and watched it three times.  I hope you will, too.  

"The word pretty is unworthy of everything you will be...you will never be merely pretty."

3 comments:

Teafan said...

Wow - her spoken word piece is so good.

Adrena said...

Wow - what a brave story to share and she is very compelling to watch. Great message.

Marilyn Miller said...

Yes, I saw this on Facebook. It is definitely worth watching.