Saturday, March 03, 2012

Behind the Museum Cafe

Amanda and Chisumi

Welcome to the Behind the Museum Cafe!  This lovely place will become a regular stop for me as I enjoy tea and snacks or a light meal.   The cafe serves Japanese green and matcha teas, herbal infusions, traditional Japanese sweets and other pastries, soups and sandwiches, sake and Japanese beer, and coffee.

One of the co-owners, Tomoe Horibuchi, has taught Japanese cooking and practiced the Japanese tea ceremony for years.  Her experience shines through in the balance of wabi elements (hand-thrown tea bowls, wooden tables) and modern elements (large glass windows, creative foods).

I was here for a business meeting.  We sat at the corner of a large shared table and enjoyed the lovely light through the windows.  The food was delicious and novel, and we had plenty of time and space to attend to our work. 

I wish the Behind the Museum Cafe much success.

Matcha cupcakes, among other delicious treats


 The space is also a gallery, showcasing Japanese Tea bowls and kimono

 Love the yo-yo placemat!

 The matcha set

The matcha brownie, dense and delicious

8 comments:

The Teaist said...

Looks really great - and like a whole other take on tea than what I'm familiar with.

How was that green 'brownie'? :)

Marlena said...

Lovely looking place, filled with goodies. I too loved the yo-yo plaemat, just too cute. it is a nice touch amongst the sleekness. Hmmm, matcha brownies, hmmm.

Steph said...

The matcha brownies were yummie! No chocolate...but dense and fudgy, with a lovely color and hint of matcha flavor.

Rosemary said...

Another great find! Those matcha brownies look interesting.

Angela McRae said...

Matcha cupcakes! Matcha brownies! Lucky you!

Marilyn Miller said...

I must go here sometime. I sounds wonderful!

Alex Zorach said...

That matcha brownie looks fascinating, and unlike the texture of any other matcha-containing baked goods I've tried.

parTea lady said...

That looks like a great cafe. I'd love to try that matcha brownie and I know my quilting bee would enjoy making yo-yo placemats.