Guinness Soda Bread Scones, and other delectables
It was tea-times-two on Saturday! A friend joined me for a tea party at my home before heading to our Japanese Tea Ceremony class, where she was the guest instructor on kimono dressing.
With a nod toward St. Pat's, I served the following. All of these were vegan, except for the salmon and the macarons. (I've had a nasty respiratory virus and am off dairy.)
- Blood Orange sandwich - This time, I used vegan cream cheese, blood orange rind, a drop of vanilla and a drop of orange extract
- Smoked salmon on rosemary butter (vegan spread)
- Sprouts (made by the DH) on rosemary butter (vegan spread)
- Use 4 Tbsp of vegan margarine
- Use 1/4 cup of nondairy milk with 2 Tbsp vinegar to curdle it
- Use agave or sugar instead of honey
- I started with 1/4 cup of Guinness and added 3 Tbsp. This kept the dough firm enough that I could cut out shapes.
- This version is just as good as the non-vegan...you won't notice the difference.
- PS - It just occurred to me, after I'd posted this, to check if Guinness is vegan. Technically, it's not. If this is a concern for you, read more here.
- Dates stuffed with pecan
- French macarons from a local bakery
- Fresh Strawberries! I'm so happy because I wait for the CA ones each spring.