Friday, March 03, 2017

San Diego: Shakespeare's Corner Shoppe


I recently had the chance to spend a lovely hour and a half at  Shakespeare Corner Shoppe & Afternoon Tea in San Diego. You might expect the sunshine photos, but I mostly experienced intense rain throughout the week, so the sunshine was very welcome.  

This British goods shop (tea, puddings, pastries, etc.) offers afternoon tea on its lovely front porch. The team excels at details, from the little flower shown above to the fact that as a solo diner, I was pampered even more vs. being pushed to the side. For example, I was offered two tea choices, one complimentary!



After I freshened my hands with a warm towel, I enjoyed a bowl of carrot and parsnip soup. It was delicious!


Followed on by the finger sandwiches: egg salad, cucumber with mustard pickle, rosemary chicken, roast beef with butter lettuce and horseradish.


Along with scones, double Devon cream and strawberry jam.  The owner is British, and these are the real deal. 

And then dessert... a dark chocolate raspberry tart, toffee cake, shortbread, black forest gateaux and sweet wine syllabub.  I knew of the old-fashioned dessert syllabub (it's like a mousse), but had never tried it. Delicious!

I definitely recommend this experience and hope to go back!

3 comments:

Margie said...

What a delightful tearoom! I enjoyed seeing its charming decor (love the teapot vases!) and scrumptious foods. Have a good weekend!

Linda Jennings said...

Lovely! Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing photos and hearing about different tearooms across the country.

Marilyn Miller said...

It looks wonderful. How special to be able to take some time just for you while in that part of the world. Thanks for sharing it with us in our pictures. The food sounds and looks delicious!