Friday, May 05, 2017

Tea at the American Girl Tearoom, Chicago


I recently met my family in Chicago, for a weekend of fun. The highlight for me was afternoon tea at the American Girl store.  I wasn't sure what to expect, and was impressed.  The tearoom is tastefully decorated, with black and white stripes and bright pink accents.  It appeals to girls, but also grownups.


The table setting comes with hair bows for the girls, and chairs for the dolls.  If you don't have a doll, you can borrow one.


The tea foods were each connected to a doll's persona. Kit's homemade pig-in-a-blanket, Josefina's chicken salad, etc.  See the menu here.

Dessert was fun!  Rebecca's New York chocolate chip cheesecake and Melody's All-American strawberry mouse (served in a flower pot).

The tea itself is served from a bag, and while not my favorite, it keeps things simple for the tea room and the kids.

At $19/person, this experience was very worth it!  Have you been to tea at an American Girl store?  Tell us about it!


9 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Wow! That is a good price for the experience. I think any little or big girl would love it. It sounds like the perfect thing to do with your family.

relevanttealeaf said...

I was there in 2005 with my three granddaughters. We had a fabulous time. We had Afternoon Tea and attended one of the performance in their theater. I think they moved to a new location after our visit. I love the story about Pleasant Rowland and how the American Girl Dolls began in 1986 before Mattel bought the company in 1998. Do they still serve warm miniature cinnamon rolls and call them a "Warm Welcome?"

Linda Jennings said...

This looks so pretty and fun. I have been to the NCY American Doll Store, but not for tea. Thanks for sharing! (Sorry, Austin had been using my computer, and I accidently left a comment in his name.)

Snap said...

This sounds like a lot of fun and Chicago is one of my favorite towns.

Sip!!!!!!!

Margie said...

What a fun way to introduce tea time to kids!

sandi said...

I have been to the American girl store in Chicago several times starting with the grand opening with my oldest Granddaughter who we surprised because at that time it was brand new and she had never heard or it although she had Molly and Bitty Baby.Then it was the second Granddaughters turn and then the third Granddaughters turn lol.Of course the other girls had to come along. There were a few more trips in addition to the first one for each girl. Everything is done very well the shows the tearoom ect.also decorated so nice. I now have a 19 month old Great Granddaughter who I can't wait to go with.I enjoyed it a much as them maybe more lol.

Rosemary said...

What a great experience for everyone in your family! Years ago my oldest sister and my youngest niece enjoyed afternoon tea at the American Girl Store in NYC. It was a fabulous time - and your photos remind me of our adventure. Such memories!

Unknown said...

Which tea you love to sip the most is its black tea, green tea, orthodox tea or CTC tea.

Angela McRae said...

Yes, I've taken my youngest niece to the American Girl store in Atlanta twice. Both times it was to select a doll for her Christmas gift, followed by teatime. Like you, I thought the teatime was a nice experience in keeping with the young girls who are their target audience.