Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tea at the Phoenician

I recently had tea at the Phoenician in Scottsdale, AZ. It was during one of those lucky pockets of extra time. My work group had wrapped up and dispersed, and I found myself left with an extra evening and nothing to do. The Phoenician is a lovely resort with fountains and sweeping views. The tea is served in the hotel lobby. I remember lots of cream and gold decorations. A massive fountain presides over the middle of the lobby.

The traditional three-courses are served. The tea sandwiches were very good (egg salad, curry chicken salad, portabella mushroom, cucumber.) Two scones were served - buttermilk and cranberry. Both were served warm and with generous dollops of lemon curd, strawberry preserves, and devonshire cream. Dessert was a delightful selection from several small, dainty treats. I chose the champagne mouse cake and a chocolate-dipped strawberry. I had Darjeeling tea (no surprises there - one of my favorites.)

The china is Wedgewood Oberon. Wasn't that the Elf King in A Midsummer Night's Dream? It makes sense as the china has a woodsy (yet delicate) look. The hostess and serving staff were wonderful! Very polite and gracious.

The tea was expensive, as compared to a standard tea room: $34. This is on par with fancy hotel teas. If you get the chance, it's worth going! The views and setting alone are worth it!

No comments: