My friend CW has been raving about this rhubarb cake that she recently made. The DH and I got some rhubarb with the CSA this week, and so I gave the cake a try. I must agree - it's fabulous (and unusual). Here is CW's original recipe. And here are a few notes from my hippy cooking alterations.
- I used all whole-wheat flour.
- Instead of sour cream, I used non-fat yogurt.
- I used brown sugar in the topping, instead of white.
- I wondered about using maple syrup in the topping - maybe next time!
- I almost always reduce the amount of sugar when I bake, but given rhubarb's tang, I did not this time.
This goes wonderfully with a cup of strong black tea!