Sunday, November 07, 2010

Book review: Sew Retro

I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about the history of sewing (and, in parallel, a look at feminism and gender roles) in the new book Sew Retro, by Judi Ketteler.  http://www.sewretrothebook.com/

I was inspired by the profile of Ellen Curtis Demorest, who made paper patterns accessible to the home seamstress.  Among many enterprises, she ran a magazine that encouraged positive messages for women.  It encouraged them to seek employment, apply to college, and applaude the successes of their women peers.  She provided jobs for women in her shops throughout the country, including hiring African-American women who received the same benefits as white women. 

If you're interested in fashion, sewing, and/or women's history, this book is a fun and informative read.  (Your library probably has it, if you're willing to wait in line.)  The book also provides sewing projects for the modern woman, inspired by the past.

4 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Sounds like a good book.

Amy said...

Sounds very interesting. I wonder if I can get it at the Library?

parTea lady said...

That does sound interesting - I'll check with my local library. Thanks.

Angela McRae said...

You've definitely got me adding that to my wish list. Anything to do with women's history like that greatly appeals to me!