Friday, April 01, 2011

Berkeley Imperial Tea Court

I have long been a fan of the Imperial Tea Court.  I remember my first visit to the original tea room in San Fran's Chinatown.  The front window was full of clay teapots, and I stood in awe!  It's there I had my first pu-erh.  It's from Imperial Tea Court that I drank my first Bai Hao Oolong and fell in love.  I've enjoyed ITC's Tea of the Month club (thanks Mom!).  ITC has played a key role in my tea appreciation and education.

I had the chance to visit the Berkeley tea room this past weekend.  It was fun to introduce my friend to the gaiwan style of brewing, and to share several cups of tea.
The entrance is lovely, and a sign of beautiful things to come

The peaceful courtyard

Inside the tea room - it was packed!  A much-loved place!

We had the Superior Four Season Spring Oolong, lightly sweet with the aroma of spring flowers

And butter cookies with tea leaves in them.  Delicious.

An additional highlight for me was meeting Roy Fong, the owner of Imperial Tea Court and a shining light (pioneer, educator, ambassador) in the American tea industry

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing this special tea journey. It looks like a place I would most certainly enjoy.
Nancy

massagematters said...

sounds like a wonderful time!

Marlena said...

Oh Steph, how wonderful for you! Thanks for the photos of one of the places I would dearly love to go.

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks like a wonderful and special time!

Marilyn Miller said...

What a treat! The garden looks beautiful and meeting Roy Fong, what a treat. Thanks for sharing!

ErinPaperbackstash said...

How neat...the tea cookies sound intriguing especially