Monday, October 29, 2012

Meatless Monday 14: Chai Oatmeal

I'm returning to this series after a summer break.  The rains have begun again here in the Pacific Northwest and I return to warm spices for comfort.  I experimented with adding chai spices to oatmeal, and it's a winner!  The way I made this was to simply use a cheesecloth bag of my favorite chai spices in the pot as the oatmeal cooked.  Yummy results, but I can make it even better!  Next time, I will first steep the chai spices in the milk (or non-dairy milk or water) for awhile before adding the oatmeal. The longer cooking time will coax out even more of the chai spice flavor. 

What I liked about this oatmeal is that the chai spices added so much interest and depth, I didn't even think about adding a sweetener.  In addition, it's a great way to add flavor to the oatmeal while using only water, for any of you looking to lessen your dairy.

How do you dress up your oatmeal?

8 comments:

The Teaist said...

That does sound good!

A little honey might just be the finishing touch. Or how about some shredded coconut or a dash of coconut milk?

relevanttealeaf said...

I'll have to try this, as I eat oatmeal every day, mostly for breakfast. I acquired another oatmeal recipe recently from another blogger for pumpkin oatmeal. It is absolutely fabulous.

Steph said...

I like that idea of coconut flakes or milk for a finish! Finely chopped candied ginger could be good, as well.

Marilyn Miller said...

Haven't had oatmeal in awhile, but when I do I have never experimented. I just use brown sugar and milk. OK now I need to experiment. The pumpkin spice tea I have in the cupboard I think would be quite good. Thanks for inspiring me to think about this.

La Tea Dah said...

Great idea and sounds so good! Last night I filled the crockpot for breakfast millet. Such an easy breakfast to wake up to.

Rosemary said...

um, sorry, not a fan of oatmeal... but if I were, this looks like a good idea!

cha sen said...

Chai and oatmeal, that sounds like a great combination and much more appealing than the bag of chai matcha tea that I received as a gift and have not tried!

Angela McRae said...

I don't guess I usually add much of anything to my oatmeal except a little pat of butter, but the chai spices idea greatly appeals to me! Wonder if I could try steeping some chai tea in milk and using that to make the oatmeal. Hmmm ...