Saturday, February 16, 2013

Rosemary Herbal Tea


Steeping a rosemary wreath

We've had the sniffles at my house, and the DH and I have been sipping mugs of rosemary (above) and thyme herbal infusions.

I'm fond of rosemary.  I love its aroma and flavor.  It's featured in my favorite cucumber sandwich recipe.  It's the herb of remembrance.  (Friend Nancy and her sister have a tearoom, herb store and blog related to this tradition.) 

Where I live, it grows year-round and I feel fortunate to be able to snip a few branches even in the winter!  It 's not fussy.  Here, I just rinsed the leaves, coiled them and poured boiling water over to steep for 10 minutes.  In later spring, the bush provides another gift:  pretty pale blue blooms.

There are many uses for the herbal infusion.  It has antioxidants as well as other compounds that are anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-fungal and anti-septic.  It's also a good source of folic acid, vitamins A, and C and iron.  There are probably many other benefits.

Have you ever tried a rosemary infusion?  I've found it to have a very pleasing aroma and flavor.  


5 comments:

Rosemary said...

Thanks for the nod! Hope you're both feeling better soon! We like to drink sage tea for those pesky sore throats.

Marilyn Miller said...

Your photo is just beautiful!
Haven't tried this, but now I will keep it in mind for the sniffles.

Angela McRae said...

I've never infused rosemary so I'll have to try this. Hope you and the DH are feeling better by now!

somepinkflowers said...

{{ lovely posting
and
photo ...

simply
lovely !! }}

best tea for breakfast said...

I am passionate about drinking lemon tea