Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cranes: Long Life, Good Fortune and Peace


The crane symbolizes long life and good fortune in many Asian cultures.  My friend from Hawaii explains the crane motif is often seen at weddings, as cranes are known for monogamous matings and share the responsibilities of raising offspring.

Have you heard the touching story of Sadako Sasaki?  She was three when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, where she lived. When she was 12 she developed leukemia (attributed to the radiation exposure from the bomb).  She took on the challenge of folding origami cranes, in the hopes of folding 1,000.  Stories differ regarding whether she met this goal before her death, but what is certain is that her story has become a mission of awareness and peace.



My lovely friend saw these beautiful crane "tennis plate" sets at an estate sale and gifted them to me. I love them!  From the soft blue to the hand painted birds to the gold rim, they are exquisite.

Wishing you long life, good fortune and peace!

12 comments:

Snap said...

Beautiful gift! The crane folding continues in her memory. Seems like there is always some one each year asking for help folding 1000 cranes!

Teafan said...

Exquisite is the right word! That is very lovely china.

Linda Jennings said...

Lovely! Thanks for sharing the story.

Sandra said...

What a pretty dish set. I love the meaning of the birds. I have enjoyed your blog post today.

Angela McRae said...

Those tennis sets (or tea and toast sets) are fabulous! And the story that accompanies them is so touching. Thanks for sharing this!

Mua Thẻ Điện Thoại Online said...

thank post, i like blog

Margie said...

Yes, I remember learning about Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes when I was a kid. I think that its original book cover is the same shade of blue as your pretty tennis set!

MomWaldsPlace said...

That is the most amazing tennis set I have ever seen. Very, very striking.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a gorgeous, thoughtful gift. I love the story of the cranes.

Rosemary said...

Long life, good fortune, and peace to you and yours, also!

parTea lady said...

Your tea set is gorgeous and don't those scones look yummy. ☺

Antiques And Teacups said...

I absolutely love your set. Cranes are such a wonderful symbol. I had not heard the story...how sad and how uplifting. Back from break with a feeling-better-Honey!
Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth