Thursday, June 07, 2007

Our Wounded, Softened Hearts

I heard this phrase recently, "our wounded, softened hearts." The ideas is that in moments of pain and distress, we move into a place of more compassion, more empathy, more love, more patience - rather than the more common and opposite response.

What a powerful image for me! Think how our world would be different if our responses, on the global level, were softened after a tragedy rather than hardened with thoughts of revenge or fear.

What a gift to myself if I allow my defenses to melt and my heart to soften after a painful experience.

You can read more about this concept in the book, Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chodron.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. There was an article in a major newspaper a while back that said essentially that the US response to 9-11 was far greater than the tragedy. Whether you agree with that or not, it is interesting to consider our need for 'revenge' and 'winning' and 'righteousness.' The softened heart is one reason why it isn't always so difficult to take care of sick people, because they tend to be very vulnerable and greatful to any help they receive from their caregivers (nurses).

Anonymous said...

I've never heard it phrased that way, a "wounded, softened heart" but it's very poetic and a powerful mantra.