Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Trusty Teapots

This week's blogathon topic is to write about teapots. I'll share with you the teapots I use on a daily basis. I call these my trusty teapots, as they keep on pouring and never fail me! The first one is a small teapot (about 3-4 cups) with a set of 5 matching handleless cups. The teapot has a mesh infuser basket, which I love. It's easy to clean and gives the tea plenty of room to open and expand. I originally purchased this set for the cups. I needed additional cups of this size for tea tastings. But it's the teapot that has become the crown jewel. It is the one I go to almost every day.

Below is another pot I use regularly. I like it because of its tall and lean shape, more like a coffee pot (tho it is smaller than most coffee pots of this style). It came to me in New Mexico, from a thrift store bonanza (the DH found it). I use this one when I want a bit more flair with my daily cup.

Do you have a teapot you go to on a daily basis? What about it do you like? The color? The way it pours? Its sentimental value?

9 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Beautiful teapots --- and yes, I have a teapot I use on a daily basis. Except it changes with my moods. I tend to rotate favorites over weeks or months. Right now I'm using one that I found at the Goodwill (for $350). It's similar in shape to your thrift store find, except that mine doesn't have a pattern on it, just an elegant shape and lovely silver trim. It's Bavarian and makes a fine pot of tea. I like having an 'everyday' teapot that is easy to use and clean. . .and I tend to save the special ones for company and special occasions.

Thanks for sharing,
LaTeaDah

Anonymous said...

my favorite teapot is an ordinary mug. I heat my water in it in the microwave and drop a basket of tea in it for my morning earl grey. it is simple, quick, and just the right serving for me.

Anonymous said...

The teapot I use on a daily basis is a 2-3 cup Pristine Pottery teapot. I love the soft sage green color, the shape...even the knob on the lid. It's pretty, but unpretentious. Because I use it so often, it has a familiarity that I find comforting. I would love to have one in a larger size. Alas, Pristine Pottery is no longer in business and I have only been able to track down a handful of their teapots, which were in unappealing colors. So, I will continue to use my little teapot, grateful to have it.

parTea lady said...

Your teapots are very nice. I have several everyday pots that I rotate. The one I am using now is a Polish handpainted pot. The blue and white design is quite pleasing. My everyday teapot must also have a large easy to grip handle and a nice no-drip spout. I also like English brown betty teapots. They are so very functional and classic.

Anonymous said...

My everyday teapot is a white pottery one by williams sonoma. It has a lined metal cozy that keeps the tea hot. I use it every morning to brew a pot of Awake tea by TAZO.

mep said...

I too am a microwave water heater, and I have an tea-for-one teapot and cup combo that is my go to. It is actually not attractive, but I love how it feels and believe it is an ideal size.

Anonymous said...

My remaining trusty teapot is my Brown Betty, which my oldest took to school today for her "Antiques Roadshow" English artifact in 6th grade. So now I have re-learned a bit of the history of this venerable teapot so common in English households. I say "remaining" because, the year we lived in Palo Alto, a shelf in our funny little cottage collapsed, smashing a collection I had assembled during my years in England (and a beautiful set of gratin dishes we received as a wedding gift). It was unbelievably sad. But now, I really have only two teapots, both trusty and humbly understated, which is really my style anyway.... MKP

Steph said...

Thank you, all, for telling me about your teapots (or mugs)! MKP - I would also be very sad to look at the results of a collapsed shelf. A lesson in letting go, for sure. I'm so glad your Brown Betty teapot gives you comfort!

Vee said...

Nice teapots! No, I do not use a teapot on a daily basis and that's because I haven't found a good workhorse yet. Do both of these pots pour well?