Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Austin, TX: Tea at the Four Seasons

I was recently in Austin, TX for a very quick one-night trip.  I'd never been to Ausin, but had heard great things about it, including the opportunities for tea.  I read many reviews and decided to give tea at the Four Seasons a try.  I was not disappointed; in fact, I was delighted!

I walked into the gorgeous Lobby Lounge at the Four Seasons and my gaze was immediately drawn to these large windows with amazing views of the water and green space.  As I made my way to the hostess stand and introduced myself, she said "Hello!  Welcome to Afternoon Tea at the Four Seasons!"  I produced a big, big smile.

That smile grew even larger as Shelly, the hostess and tea steward, led me to my table next to those captivating windows.  The table was sprinkled with rose petals.  I sat there for several moments just taking it all in.  I was a bit unsettled from traveling since the wee hours, and this moment of quiet and beauty went far to restore me.

Shelly brought the tea menu round in the form of samples which I could smell.  She asked about my preferences and recommended an orange-jasmine.  It was very good!  The loose tea was served in a tea press, allowing me to control the steeping time.  Between the view and the tea, I felt back to my normal self with an extra pinch of serenity.  The setting here really was magical, and I took it all in with gratitude. 
 
Take a peek at the menu here.  The sandwiches were perfect - tasty, dainty and lovely.  The scones included pistachio-cranberry and dried apricot.  The desserts included a small chocolate cake with banana cream filling, a chocolate-dipped strawberry, and a passion-fruit French merenge, also dipped in chocolate.  It was delicious and presented prettily.  I couldn't eat it all, and so I took a few treats with me for a later snack.
After tea, I went for a walk through the Four Seasons grounds and along the water.  It was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! Tea at the Four Seasons is expensive - $30/person.  I think it's worth it.

12 comments:

Alex Zorach said...

I love Austin too...I've been there three times, but haven't explored many of the tea places there; I keep hearing about them on various blogs too!

La Tea Dah said...

What a delightful tea experience! I wish I could be there at this very moment --- enjoying the lovely scene, the perfect tea, and the yummy food.

Did they really have three napkins on the table? Or did it only look that way because of folding?

LaTeaDah

Steph said...

LaTeaDah - It was the folding, but lovely!

Marlena said...

What a wonderful treat for you! If I ever go to Austin... I like your new picture.

parTea lady said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely tea experience. I really liked the Four Seasons menu and the way they presented the tea.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a perfect way to recover from travel. It does look so serene. Austin is a special place to visit. I am thinking I would like to visit there again.

PeggyR said...

WOW what a great experience!

Teresa's New Life said...

For the restoration, views & treats I'd say it was worth it, too! Thank you for sharing this lovely respite.
(BTW- your new photo looks as though you are in a "new" place. You look so pretty & happy.)

Angela McRae said...

Sounds like you had a great time and it all looks wonderful! I am so impressed with the way they present their tea selections - very elegant!

Anonymous said...

Looks Wonderful! I will definitely visit next time I am in Austin. I have friends there so I am sure to visit sometime.

Melanie said...

There is a Four Seasons here in Boston, and I've heard about their teas. However, I haven't worked up the courage to consider spending $30 on one yet! Maybe for a special treat...

Afternoon Tea Fan said...

The Four Seasons (and The Peninsula) chains always do a great job for afternoon tea.