Friday, July 20, 2012

Raw Oregon Berry Pie

I tried this recipe recently and was pleased!  It's raw, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and free of processed-sugar (sweetened with dates).  It's full of really good healthy stuff and lots of flavor.

Raw Oregon Berry Pie (New Seasons recipe to which I've clarified and added my notes)
  • 2 cups raw nuts, your choice (I used pecans and walnuts)
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups pitted dates (dried)
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 6 cups of fresh berries, your choice (I used blueberries and cherries for the filling and blueberries, cherries and raspberries for the top)
Cover 1 cup of dates with water and set aside.  In a blender or food processor, pulse the 2 cups of nuts and sea salt until you have medium crumbs.  Add the remaining cup of dates and pulse until there are no more large chunks of dates.  Pour this into a 9-inch pie pan and press evenly to create a crust.  (I used a spring form pan.)  Put in freezer for at least 15 minutes while you finish the rest of the pie.

Drain the dates.  Place 2 cups of fresh berries, lemon juice and drained dates into the blender/food processor.  Process until smooth.  If desired, slice any large berries into pieces.  Mix the sliced fruit into the wet filling and pour into cold pie crust.  Spread out evenly.  (I did not mix mine.  I spread the filling, then placed the berries on top.)  Ready to eat or be put in the fridge! 

After chilling a bit, I was able to slice into wedges.  The flavor is wonderful and the crust is amazing!  Next time, I think I will just do fresh fruit on top and skip the filling . It was tasty, but I prefer my fruit whole.  I've never been a smoothie fan.  If you are, then go for the filling.  It's good.


9 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Very yummy and gluten free. This is a wonderful time of year --- berry season!

Sally Price said...

It looks terrific.

Marilyn Miller said...

It's beautiful! and looks delicious!

amherstrose said...

All I could think of when I saw this spectacular pie was that song from the movie Michael.

My, my, me oh my. I LOVE PIE!!!!

DO YOU KNOW IT?

Please send me some of that PIE!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Steph - this looks sooo good, and your photography is beautiful!

Angela McRae said...

Oh my, this looks heavenly good! (And I *love* hearing your personal tweaks/recommendations when sharing a recipe. Thanks!)

Karen said...

That looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing!

Micupoftea said...

This looks amazing! Yum~

GardenOfDaisies said...

Hi, I popped over from Marilyn's blog. This fruit tart looks absolutely delicious I have a friend who is gluten intolerant, so will have to remember this recipe for future use. Would you mind if I pinned a picture (with a link back to your blog) to my recipe board on pinterest? That is the easiest way for me to keep track of good things I find online.