Friday, September 09, 2005

Adrift No More

My community is taking in 500 folks who are displaced by the flooding on the Gulf Coast. They will be staying in one of the University dorms, with the longer-term goal of being permanently integrated into the community. I'm so glad that I live in a Community that opens its arms to these folks. You see, it's beyond just providing resources. It's saying that we welcome people from all walks of life - including the poor. Most of the people who are now suffering in temporary shelters are those that were left behind by society - poor, uneducated, and non-white. I am sure this transition to the Midwest will be rough for some, as no one enjoys being forced to leave home. I hope our guests will find a hearty welcome here, along with a new start on life - maybe one that was brighter than what they left behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great place to live!