Wednesday, September 28, 2005

What Tea Goes with Rockin' Blues?

I attended my community's Lotus Festival last week. This is an annual world music festival. It's awesome! I attended the opening event on Thursday night called "Women's Voices" and heard two phenomenal groups! The first group has the best name I've heard in a long time: The Wailin' Jennys. This Canadian all-girl band sings folk music, infused with a little irish and a little rock. They've recently won the Juno, our equivalent to a Grammy. I've been playing around with the idea of which tea best suits this group. For the Wailin' Jennys, I'm settled on Jasmine Green. I often have a visual image of prayers being carried to heaven, riding on the lovely jasmine aroma. The Wailin Jennys beautiful music seems to fit with this.

The second performer was Ruthie Foster. Ruthie sings blues and gospel, with a rocking edge. Her voice is very rich and ripe. She's also quite funny! Here song about her experiences going to church in the deep south had me rolling! The tea match, for me, would be a good chai. Something sweet and spicy and smooth, all at the same time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like alot of fun. Maybe next year I can make a weekend of it and go with you. You know how I love this kind of music.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I love LotusFest. I used to attend when I was in grad school there. I remember hearing Greag Brown in the public library at LotusFest. He followed a family of Bulgarian folk singers. I love the variety that LotusFest always brings in. Man, it must be great to live there.