Monday, May 08, 2006

Discussion: Is sun tea bitter?

I had a question in my last post (about the Ginger Peach sun tea) that I want to open to the group. Do you find your sun tea bitter? If not, why not - what's your secret? Thanks for sharing!

My tip: Sun tea can get bitter, as can any tea, if it's left to steep for a long time. I generally only steep about an hour, to an hour and a half. Tip: If you want stronger tea, use more tea leaves instead of steeping longer. Long steeps almost always lead to bitter tea (especially in the black tea realm).

I look forward to your ideas and thoughts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - it only gets bitter if you steep it too long. It can also have a lot to do with the quality of tea that's being used.

Anonymous said...

Good question. It totally depends on the type of tea and how long you steep it. Lipton bags steeped for 3 hours can only mean disaster!

Anonymous said...

Well grandma used lipton and left it on the porch all day...I guess that explains things pretty well!