Friday, December 12, 2008

Tea Towels

Isn't this cute? I made it recently, from a flour sack towel (thanks, NM Tea Lover!). Flour sack towels are my fave. I love how they don't get full of lint and how they dry quickly.

I was inspired by some tea towels I saw recently at ANTHROPLOGIE. At $18 per towel, I thought, "I can do that myself!" Well, this is a happy ending. Not all of those thoughts end happily. Ha! Mine isn't quite as fancy as ANTHROPOLOGIE, but I do love it.

First, I used disappearing ink (sold at sewing stores) to sketch my teacup.


Then I used the sewing machine to embroidery. I was going for the whimsical, imprecise line drawing look. I went round it twice, to give it an extra bit of color. I finished by adorning the top and bottom hems with ric-rac.

11 comments:

Angela McRae said...

What an adorable - and doable! - idea! I love the way you did your embroidery. Cool!

Lady Katherine said...

How great! Love the tea towel! I still do not how to embroidery on machine, all by hand! Love the tea cup! I want to make napkins, soon. I have a tea swap sister and going to send your strawberries and cream tea to her, with info.

LADY JANE said...

Oh no..I feel I am five years old and have peeked in the presents..you see my dear lovely Katherine was here...and guess who her tea swap sister is (GIGGLE...GIGGLE) I better leave quickly...sneaking out with a promise to be back...

Steph said...

How fun - you tea swap sisters! :-) Lady Katherine - I hopy you and Lady Jane enjoy the tea! :-)

Marilyn Miller said...

Your tea towel turned out so nice. It reminded me of a vintage towel with the red embroidery and rick rack.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I'm so proud of you! Your sewing skills are really taking off, especially your creative thinking about how to make things you enjoy.

sweetcakes said...

I love it!!!! What a great idea! You were holding out on me......this would be perfect for a spring tea party favor! I love that you can do it on the machine!

Just fabulous!

Philigry said...

those look great. love the tea cup design.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea and lovely execution. Where did you find the flour sack towels?

mep said...

Nice work! I see many things at Anthropologie that I wish I could replicate at home . . .

Tea Time With Melody said...

What a very crafty idea. I like it.