Monday, July 27, 2009

An Indy Getaway

View of the capital in downtown Indianapolis, from near our hotel

The DH and I spent a very fun weekend in downtown Indianapolis. Did you know that within the heart of downtown, Indy has both a state park and a canal district, connected and easily walkable? The White River State Park is home to several museums and the zoo and botanical gardens.

We started the morning at the zoo. It was cold and rainy. I was grateful for my jacket and umbrella, and even added a pair of leggings under my skirt! The zoo, though small, has done a nice job of allowing a view of the sea animals both above and below the waterline.

For lunch, we walked downtown to the Tea Cozy and enjoyed the Saturday brunch menu. I had a delicious chocolate chip pancake and some of the best-ever fried potatoes (clearly homemade - not the frozen kind). We then returned to the zoo via the canal walk and spent the afternoon in the botanical garden. This included a butterfly garden, conservatory and lovely outdoor gardens. It was a place where I could return to often.


Brilliant blue butterfly in the corner

Conservatory

Canal
View of the White River and downtown, from botanical garden

We caught a movie that evening (the Alps) at the IMAX in the Indiana State Museum, and finished off with a tasty dinner at the Creation Cafe, at the start of the canal near the Clarian health complex.

We spent Sunday morning going for a run through the streets of downtown, taking a good look at the Soldiers' & Sailors' monument. Then we hit Einstein Bagels and the Chocolate Cafe.

I highly recommend a weekend getaway to downtown Indianapolis! There is much to see and do. If you go, I suggest spending the extra cash to stay within walking distance of the White River and canal district. You wouldn't even need to pay for any other entertainment! Just enjoy the walk and views. We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Capital and appreciated its location, just steps from the canal, a few blocks from the capital building, and about a 25-minute walk from the White River state park.

8 comments:

parTea lady said...

You certainly packed a lot of great sightseeing and eating into one weekend. I'd like to see the dolphins at the zoo and the canal and park.

I want to visit the Tea Cozy for their English toffee (or sticky) pudding. I've only had it once at a tea room in Canada and it was heavenly.

Sounds like downtown Indianapolis would be a fun place to visit.

Teresa's New Life said...

It's so fun getting to "visit" other places thru the blog, especially those you would never think to visit. It really looks like a beautiful city. And man you really got a lot in for a weekend!

Marilyn Miller said...

What a lovely weekend. My daughter once lived in downtown Indianapolis, but I don't remember it being so nice to visit. I will remember that if I ever drive through there again.

Lisa said...

I used to work in the heart of downtown Indy BC (before children). I still love heading up there to visit even if we don't spend the night. What a treat to live so close to such a happening place. I must admit though, I love coming home to our quiet refuge! :)

What a nice showcase of Downtown Indy!

sweetcakes said...

Looks like you had a lovely time!

Rondell said...

Did y'all make it to Maxine's Chicken and Waffles on East Street? That's the only place where Rondell will eat when she's in Indiana. It's makin me hungry just thinking about it! LOL

mep said...

Ah, I love Indy. Thanks for the delightful account of your trip. I did a service project in Indy one summer and walked the canal path every morning! It was fun to see it again in your picture.

Angela McRae said...

What a beautiful place to visit! I'm impressed you and the DH managed to pack so much into a weekend, and I'm glad you had such a great time. (I hope Indianapolis appreciates the great job you did as ambassador for the city!)