Saturday, November 26, 2011

Meeting Pearl


Steph and Pearl Dexter, Editor and Publisher of TEA A Magazine
Photo by Lauren Hall-Stigerts

I remember my first year of subscribing to TEA A Magazine.  When the current edition would arrive in the mail, I would read just the cover and inside page, then put the magazine away.  I would do the same for each article, reading one at a time and saving the others for later.  In this fashion, I could extend my reading pleasure for as long as possible.  That was over 10 years ago, and I must confess, my practice today is much the same.  I enjoy this magazine and I don't want to be rushed when I read it.

I had the opportunity to meet the editor and publisher, Pearl Dexter, at the NW Tea Festival in October.  What a special thing for me!  Pearl and I had a long conversation about the pros and cons of publishing magazines online. 

I've recently become an online subscriber to TEA A Magazine (and given up several other magazine subscriptions), an effort to align my values of living gently on the earth with my consumption habits.  Please don't misunderstand.  I miss the glossy pages and colorful images.  I miss receiving the magazine in the mail.  Yet the bigger picture swayed me, and I have been quite pleased with the online version.  The images are equally as colorful and I can review the magazine on my laptop even when I'm not connected to the Internet.  My archives become electronic, saving precious shelf space since we've downsized.  It's a winning proposition for me.

As for meeting Pearl, I was impressed at how she took the time to converse with me, at length, about my experiences with the online version and agreed enthusiastically to be in the photo (and on the blog).  I'd also like to give special thanks to Lauren Hall-Stigerts, who happened to wander near and snapped the photo for us.

Do you subscribe to any online magazines?  I'd like to hear about your experiences.  Alternately, if you subscribe to TEA A Magazine, tell us what you love about it.

4 comments:

Teafan said...

I didn't know this one had gone online, but I think that's great. I will be exploring it!

Anonymous said...

Hey - that's a fantastic photo of the two of you! I read one magazine online, and I'm still adjusting to the new format, but I think it has potential. Jesse P.

Marilyn Miller said...

I do read several online magazine, but I must say I have loved touching magazines and turning pages I still can't let go of the hard copies. It's an addiction, I know. I even notice how the paper feels when I hold it in my hand. I do read Tea a Magazine in bits and pieces, a little at a time. I do love the photo. I have a similar one of Pearl.

Angela McRae said...

How wonderful! I got to meet her myself (only briefly) at a tea expo several years ago, and I was delighted with how approachable and kind she was. No publishing diva there--and I've met a few. ;) I do get some online publications (Martha Stewart, Wired), but they are in addition to the print versions.