Congratulations to Angela winner of the giveaway from last week's writing prompt! And thank you to everyone who left comments, I read each and every word.
Writing Theme for Week #3: Falling in Love with Tea
This week, let's reflect upon our relationship with tea. Did you fall in love over time, slowly with each sip, or was it love at first site?
Preparing: Gather a pen and paper, or your computer. Put on some music that fits your mood. Make a cup of your favorite tea...you know, the one that captured your attention or sent you over the moon (for me, it was Bai Hao Oolong).
Sipping: Slowly sip the tea. Inhale its aroma. Let the memories swirl up and into your mind and heart.
Writing: Try out these writing prompts, or go with what moves you...
- Think about a moment in time in which you had a deep and abiding appreciation of tea. Describe the setting with details...
- How old were you? What was happening in your life at the time?
- What were you wearing, do you recall? If not, take a guess and embellish with details.
- Where were you sipping? Describe the setting - color of walls (if inside), the chair, the temperature, the quality of light, the sounds.
- Who was with you? Were you sipping alone or with company?
- What tea were you drinking? Do you recall its flavor or scent?
- What did the china look like? A favorite mug, a delicate cup and saucer, a celadon gaiwan? Describe the pattern, the feel of the vessel.
- Now let's write about why we fell in love with tea.
- For many of us, it was the experience of afternoon tea with its beautiful china, delicate foods, delicious tea, and companionship. Was this "it" for you? Tell me this story.
- Was it tea alone, in a quiet moment of contemplation?
- Was it the caffeine combined with the calming?
- Was it the exploration of tea's diversity, flavor, character, aroma, etc.?
- Write about WHAT it is with tea that captures your heart.
- Note: For me, this is an evolving story. I can't pick just one instance, and so I tell the story in different ways each time it's asked. Pick one story and go long, or write snippets of several - whatever works for you!
Prizes: Leave a comment in this post, telling me what you you think about this writing prompt OR share a snippet of writing. We're all winners by reading your comments. I'll announce the winner, chosen randomly, next week. Happy writing!
*Image in this post is from Microsoft Online Images.