Sunday, October 01, 2006

World Vegetarian Day

Oct 1 is World Vegetarian Day. The DH and I call ourselves "meat-eating vegetarians." We're not vegetarian 100% of the time, tho we are most of the time....and it increases as I become more conscious of my food choices. I choose to eat a predominant vegetarian diet because of the health benefits, but beyond that, the sustainability benefits to our plant. It takes many-fold the amount of resources to eat beef than to eat vegetables. And when I do eat meat, I do so consciously and with gratitude. When I eat beef or pork, I prefer to do so at my parents' home, because I know that the animal was locally grown and given sunlight, grass and space.

I am attending a vegetarian potluck tonight. Here is what I will take.
Wilted Kale
(recipe from the DH)
Two big handfuls of Kale (grown outside my back door)
2 tablespoons (or more) sunflowers (unsalted), toasted
1/2 red onion
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Toast the sunflower seeds. Sautee the onions (sliced) in some olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Wilt the kale by steaming. Toss with the onions and olive oil. Splash in a little balsamic vinegar, to taste. Add in the sunflower seeds and serve warm.

This recipe reminds me of my grandmother's wilted lettuce, which I love. However, this recipe is missing the bacon grease. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for celebrating WFD! We spent it in San Francisco at a celebration put on by the SF Vegetarian society & In Defense of Animals. Did you know that this day has been celebrated since 1977? Good stuff. :)

John said...

word up Stephanie. do it for the planet. you and tom are such inspirational people. people with full productive lives, but don't fill your lives with false happiness.