Thursday, October 09, 2008

Detox Teas


I had an interesting question yesterday about Detox teas, and here's my response. But I'm certainly not the expert on this topic. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, too!

Most detox teas don't have camellia sinensis (the tea plant) in them. Detox teas are typically made from a blend of herbs/roots/fruits, etc. The goal is to help the body remove toxins and other stored-up stuff we no longer need.

I recently tried a detox tea sample from Mighty Leaf. I can recommend it, for its flavor and substance. I don't know if it actually helped me detox, as I wasn't on an intentional detox program. However, I know that Mighty Leaf works hard to make sure its products are environmentally responsible and the tea sachet is biodegradable, so there's good stuff going on there. More details here.


Locally, Bloomingfoods has the Mighty Leaf brand. Given that this is a new product for Mighty Leaf, I don't know if it's in stock at Bfoods.

Other tea companies (Celestial Seasonings, Yogi, etc.) also carry detox products. I'm just not experienced with them. I would encourage choosing an organic product, especially for the purposes of detoxing.
*Photo from corbis.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know a lot about detox teas, but Jason and I just did a cleanse during which we drank several cups of various hot herbal tisanes daily. The tisanes, themselves, were consumed for the purpose of keeping the body temperature warm enough, but we also took primadophilus and a colon cleanser upon waking and 30 drops of dandelion root tincture 2-4 times a day. I believe that many of the detox teas contain hepatics like dandelion root and various herbs that act as blood cleansers (such as nettles) and diuretics.

An accupuncturist I know told me that she was horrified by all of the different herbs and "herbal remedies" that people buy over the counter here (and use incorrectly) and the way the American public just assumes that anything "herbal" is safe. Best to do a lot of research from various sources before choosing any kind of detox tea or diet, in my opinion.

Thanks for the interesting post. Sorry for the super-long comment ;)

Steph said...

Thanks for your comment, Amanda! It is helpful!

Lady Katherine said...

They may work, but my doctor will not let me herbs at this time. i grow them in a garden, but only using the basic. Until I told I can do different, I think part of it is, some herbs have bloodthinners, and other may not go so good with other medications I have to take.