Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Winterizing Stephanie

It's been into the 20s at night around here, and frost is on the pumpkin. That means it's time to winterize Stephanie. The DH (dear hubbie) and I keep the house temperature between 65 - 68 degrees. The DH loves it at 65 (or lower) and I love it at 68 (or higher)! To compromize, from now until March, I wear layers. Sweaters and thermal underwear. I just purchased a new long underwear set, which I love.

I spend most of my work day in my little office. With the addition of a small space heater, which looks like an old radiator, I am cozy and warm. I keep the temp in here a smidge warmer than the rest of the house. Each of these things makes for marital peace, a lower heating bill, and less use of non-renewable energy.

How do you winterize yourself or your home? Any tips you can share for saving money and energy, while enjoying the cozy months? Of course, we can always wrap our hands around a warm mug of tea!

When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock,
And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin' turkey-cock,
And the clackin' of the guineys, and the cluckin' of the hens,
And the rooster's hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence;
O, it's then the time a feller is a-feelin' at his best,
With the risin' sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest,
As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock,
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.

--First stanza of When the Frost is on the Punkin by James Whitcomb Riley

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm partial to wrapping up in my favorite blanket, which my wife made for me.

Philigry said...

i am very lucky to be married to a plumbing and heating contractor, so he always keeps our boiler clean, and running well.
I also like to layer, and we try to keep the heat at 66.

artandtea said...

Hi Steph,
we just had a fireplace insert installed last month and it keeps the whole house nice and cozy. We haven't had to turn the heat on yet! I also have a couple of knitted shawls and blankets to wrap myself in while reading or doing beadwork in the evenings. And, of course, a nice hot cuppa to keep my hands warm!

Anonymous said...

I have a big, fluffy Siberian Husky who likes to sleep on my feet. ;)

sweetcakes said...

We keep our heat at 68 during the times that we're home, and from 10:30pm to 6:00am it's set at 63.

I like to cozy up near the fireplace under a handmade afghan that was a wedding gift. And flannel sheets on the bed are a must!

The James Whitcomb Riley poem brings me back to when Mac was in 4th grade. He had to memorize it, spelling and punctuation included.

crescent said...

It helps to put on a little weight... that increases the body's capacity to modulate temperature.

I like to have throwa that I can toss over my lap and legs.

Lots of jackets and sweaters.

Fire in the wood burning stove!

crescent said...

oh..yeah. I turn the heat down at night... and when we're out. And have our thermostat programmed to heat the house more just before we get up... so we can bathe/shower in a bit more warmth.

Lady Katherine said...

We are heating with a wood heater and try not to use the propane, or if I am desperate I pull out an electric heater. Wear sweater, thick sock.

Steph said...

Thank you all for the wise ideas!

PS - I forgot to mention that I have a pair of down booties. Heaven-sent!

Anonymous said...

I love winter! I "winterize" with candles. It is surprising how much warmth (literally AND figuratively) they can add to a room.

Marilyn Miller said...

We bought thermal curtains last spring and I am hopeful that will help. In January and February we will close off part of the house and maybe get a space heater too. Layer clothes is also a good thing. Warm socks and candles are also a good thing.

Alice said...

I have an electric coverlet that I use often. I can keep the house temp low this way. I also keep the house cool in the mornings when I'm usually bustling around making my own heat.

Homekeeping Heart said...

Hi Stephanie, We live in southern Arkansas and are working on installing a wood heater. I also, have a down comforter on my bed which is amazingly warm and cozy.