Friday, October 24, 2008

My First Mixed Media

Here is my first mixed media collage (aside from scrapbooking, which is also mixed media art!).

This was done as an experiment. I just wanted to get started. To be brave and use some of my new paint and art tools (like my brayer). It was a lot of fun, and the result turned out better than I expected. I quite like it! (This is a little reminder to me as I sit as my desk all day!)

I started by layering three pieces of scrapbook paper onto a piece of heavy cardstock. Then I used the brayer to layer in three colors of paint. (The blue is called "Victorian Blue" - isn't that great?) I found the vintage image at a royalty-free site (she's using tape to keep her shoulders back!) and typed up the words in a font that I liked. I used a pink pastel to blush up her cheeks and add the pink edging to the words.

7 comments:

Lady Katherine said...

Thats neat, Thanks for sharing this

Anonymous said...

I like it! Will you be turning these into cards or other things? I like the pic...can you send the link?

artandtea said...

Great job for your first mixed media piece, Steph! At first, I wasn't quite sure what they were doing in the image but then I got it once I read your post. :-)
I sit at a desk all day long, too, and those are great reminders to get up and move your body periodically.

Anna said...

How fun! I'm trying to loosen up and create stuff, too~ just to play, without being so attached to the end result. That's usually when the best things happen, anyhow!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you chose for the background! This is really cool. I agree with AZ tea lover - you should consider cards.

Angela McRae said...

This is great! I like the font you chose, too. I love altered art because it allows for soooo much creativity!

Allison said...

This looks like fun!