Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Teapot Pajama Bottoms


I just sewed my first pair of pajama bottoms, using these instructions. Fun! I found this adorable "tea and cookies" flannel at JoAnn's, and I had a 40% off coupon. Wahoo. The only downside was that I didn't have quite enough fabric to cut out two whole legs, since the fabric is directional. I pressed on, tho, as I was determined to have a pair of comfy lounge pants out of this fabric! I just pieced together the back of one leg (three big sections), and all worked out fine!

I love the sewing instructions. The author uses lots of photos, and they are very helpful. She also has a great sense of humor. It's how I wish all sewing instructions were written! ;-) It's the first project I've started and completed in one (long) sewing session.
I'm so excited; I'm wearing them tonight! Fall has fallen here - the grey and rain came today. We'll still have sunny, crisp days, but we'll also have evenings like tonight - perfect for a cup of tea or, as I made in celebration of my PJs, a mug of hot chocolate.

13 comments:

Lady Katherine said...

Love your pjs, now just sew me a few pair. ha. My home was built in 1920 and it gets cold even though we live in the south. Sometimes we think it colder inside than outside.

artandtea said...

Fabulous pj pants, Steph! Thanks for sharing that link and your cozy creation!

Rosemary said...

Not only are they cute, they look comfy too! What fun!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Flannel and tea - a classic winter pairing! Combined with a book or a great DVD: heaven on earth. Love your pj's!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job! You are really getting good at sewing! I am very impressed!
Keri

Anonymous said...

Cute! Glad to see you're learning to improvise. :D I really like the fabric. Nice work!

Philigry said...

oh, i love your tea pants! great job!

Anonymous said...

Very Cool. Improvising is a key element of sewing, as the instructions aren't always accurate! I have too many cats to need pjs!!! I have a fur wrap at all times! HA!

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I ADORE these! The best PJ's I ever had (years ago) were a flannel teacup print. I'll have to be on the lookout for this fabric.

sweetcakes said...

Okay, so I had a really good laugh reading this post. Not only did I buy the exact same fabric, last spring, at Joann's for the clearance price of $2 per yard, I was also saving it to make you a pair of pajama bottoms as a Christmas gift.

I've been devising up a plan to confer with Tom in hopes that he could "steal" a pair of your existing pjs that I could use for measurement. Considering that you are so tiny, I wouldn't even know where to begin when choosing a pattern size. Well, guess I can stop fretting over what pattern size to use and how to acquire a pair of your pjs, and move onto figuring out a different gift idea, not to mention what do with 3 yards of teapot flannel!

Steph said...

Oh, sweetcakes! You should use it to make your own pair! Thank you and I'm sorry I beat you to it!

Anonymous said...

I love them! I am wearing a pair with coffee mugs today myself. Glad you liked the instructions and great job on your pants! Happy Lounging!

Linda Jennings said...

I love your pjs!!