Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Birthday Snow

Snow on my birthday...it's happened before (though rarely). However, I never remember this much. We had 3 inches when I woke this morning, and it's been snowing ever since. I like snow, so it's a welcome gift from Mother Nature! One of my favorite things about snow is the hush it brings. Cars move more slowly, and the snow muffles the sound.

Ironically, we had our first daffodil bloom outside yesteray. >-) The DH brought it inside where it's happily blooming on my desk.

Here is a lovely poem by Rumi (13th century Persian poet). A friend shared this with me as a birthday wish. I think it offers profound lessons.


The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful poem...I will always think of it now when my emotions are either high or low. It was just what i needed. thank you steph for sharing this.

sam. ( a regular visitor)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for you - thirty-three!

Allison said...

The photo is so delicate and lovely and the poem is thought provoking. I hope you enjoyed your snowy day!