Monday, March 20, 2006

Daffodil Days

I spent this morning volunteering for the American Cancer Society's "Daffodil Days" campaign. I delivered daffodils to businesses all over town. It's a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.

I chose this volunteer work for three reasons: 1 - To celebrate spring and my birthday (tomorrow). 2 - To celebrate the life of my father. (He died of cancer in 1986, when he was only 40.) 3 - I believe in the work of the ACS.

It was a fun morning! The yellow daffodils contrasted nicely with the gray sky and chilly temps.

Ironically, on these first "official" days of Spring, we might be getting snow! Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again Stephanie - you blow me away with your approach to life. I admire it so.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear Stephannnnniiiiiieee. Here's a poem for your birthday by the poet Rumi.

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.