Sunday, November 16, 2008

Beauty in Lists

This gorgeous altered art journal is a gift from my very inspiring cousin (thanks, KAS!). At first, I just looked at it for inspiration, and then I finally got brave enough to write in it and fill it with dreams and plans for future creative projects.

I enjoy making lists. In my work life, lists guide me through my days and weeks. In my creative life, the lists aren't so much about what I must get done, but more about possibilities. I never expect these lists to be completely checked. Just writing them gives me a rush and a bit of confidence. If I can have the idea...I'm one step closer to actually trying it out.

I title the list "options" because that's what they are...and I include "All or None or Other" as a reminder to let go of my puritan rigidity!

7 comments:

Teresa's New Life said...

What a neat idea. I am always writing "to do" lists and it's such a great feeling when you can mark them out. But having them in a booklet to later reflect on must be so fun. Looking back on what was important in the past as opposed to today. You have just inspired me!
Steph, your site always gives us something to think about.

Anonymous said...

I, too, enjoy making lists. I have recently thought that I should keep a journal listing all of the gifts I receive with a check mark beside it once the thanks note has been mailed. Just imagine what fun it would be to look back at that journal years from now.

Steph said...

What great ideas you both have here!

Anonymous said...

I am a List person - and a journal person, as well. I have several journals that I have kept up over the years, mostly filled with quotations that I come across or other little interesting tidbits. It's lovely to pull them off the shelf and page through them, especially the older ones. You always have the neatest posts on your blog, Stephanie!

Alice said...

Oh, I like "options" much better than "to-do" lists!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've started using the journal! It was a giant leap for me (in the realm of control)to send it to you unfinished. But I so wanted you to have the blessing of filling it yourself. It's lovely to hear you've begun the journey. And with lists! I LOVE lists and a book filled with personal lists is practically irresistible :) kas

Allison said...

I am a big time list-maker too. I love the idea of journaling creative possibilities but not forcing your way through them with check marks. Very cool!