Friday, November 07, 2008

Narcissism Flipped (Self Portrait Series)

Me, at work
We sometimes use video conferencing; it's been an adjustment to get comfortable with that!


Narcissism Flipped is my attempt at irony for this Friday theme. For the next few Fridays, I'll be posting self portraits. You probably know the story of Narcissus, and I am flipping that story. I'm trying to become more comfortable with my own image, just letting it be what it is without judging it. Not flattering or criticizing myself - just truly seeing myself. In photography, we see ourselves as others see us - not as we see ourselves in the mirror (flipped). Finally, flipped is a nod to photography's history, where images used to appear flipped through the viewfinder.

9 comments:

Teresa's New Life said...

Very interesting. I came to decision after my 50th birthday that I loved myself just as I was and that how I looked to me wasn't as important as how I was.
I'll look forward to more Friday thoughts

Anonymous said...

Oh Stephanie, you are truly beautiful...inside and out!
Bobbi

Philigry said...

what a neat project!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's cool that you do video conferencing!

Vee said...

What a cool idea!

sweetcakes said...

Nice work picture! You look very professional and no one can tell that you're wearing your pajama pants with that pretty blouse. he,he

Michele said...

I love that idea. Video conferencing is very off putting - especially since it records how we are - in motion! :-) Brave of you to face it head on - I tend to veer towards denial.

Alice said...

I do hope you can see yourself as your friends see you, as the poster above said, beautiful inside and out.

Steph said...

Thanks, all, for your encouragement! Sweetcakes, don't tell my secret!