Tuesday, November 04, 2008

If A Song Could Be President

I love, love, love the musical group Over the Rhine! One of my favorite songs is If a Song Could Be President. It's pretty, witty and appropriate for today! Give it a listen for free. Go to Over the Rhine and click the blue record player box. It's the last track.

In addition to the song above, there's a lot to like about this group. In particular, I'm in awe of the woman's voice.

I voted early, so I'm avoiding the long lines today. It's a historic moment for our country. I'm both excited and exhausted by this election season. When this is over, I hope we can all see that being American is neither red nor blue, neither left nor right.

If A Song Could Be President
If a song could be president
We’d hum on Election Day
The gospel choir would start to sway
And we’d all have a part to play

The first lady would free her hips
Pull a microphone to her lips
Break our hearts with Rhythm and Blues
Steve Earle would anchor the news

We’d vote for a melody
Pass it around on an MP3
All our best foreign policy
Would be built on harmony

If a song could be president
We’d fly a jukebox to the moon
All our founding fathers’ 45’s
Lightnin’ Hopkins and Patsy Cline

If a song could be president
We could all add another verse
Life would teach us to rehearse
Till we found a key change

Break out of this minor key
Half-truths and hypocrisy
We wouldn’t need an underachiever-in-chief
If a song could be president

We’d make Neil Young a Senator
Even though he came from Canada
Emmylou would be Ambassador
World leaders would listen to her

They would show us where our country went wrong
Strum their guitars on the White House lawn
John Prine would run the FBI
All the criminals would laugh and cry
If a song could be president

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I just heard this song the other day on the radio. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm an italian tea blogger. Your blog is very nice and I put it in my preferite list in my home page.
See you, kiss

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's been 14 or 15 years since I've listened to an Over the Rhine CD. I didn't know they were even still around.

Philigry said...

i agree with you!

Anonymous said...

My friend, Colin, recently turned me onto Over the Rhine. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Happy Election Day. I voted early and it only took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I was so glad to have that early voting option. Best wishes, Frivolitea

Tea Time With Melody said...

This song is great, should have read your post earlier and wrote in in the ballot. lol