Friday, July 22, 2005

Tea and Books

Drinking Lung Ching green this morning. It fits. We had a big thunderstorm last night, and this morning the world seems fresh and revived.

Every summer, I let myself read anything I want, and I generally gravitate toward books I loved in my childhood. This summer, I've been reading the Little House on the Prairie series. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of references to tea throughout the series. I just finished the last book, The First Four Years. This one is quite different from the others. It's not as happy. Perhaps it's because Laura is now an adult. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the series.

I'm now reading the next installment of Laura Child's Tea Mysteries. If you enjoy tea and you haven't read these, you're missing out! They're not classic literature, but they are very fun and easy. I finish one in a weekend without even trying. What's fun about them is that the stories all revolve around a teashop owner, her staff, and her dog - Earl Grey. The latest is called Chamomile Mourning. Previous books were called: Death by Darjeeling, Gunpowder Green, Shades of Earl Grey, The English Breakfast Murder, and The Jasmine Moon Murder. This author also writes a series of scrapbook mysteries. I may have to check them out, as I'm a newbie to the scrapbook craze.

Finally, I've been reading another favorite of young girls - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. This is a 3-book series that describes a young girl and her becoming of a young woman. It's set back in the days of corsets and petticoats. It's very like Anne of Green Gables. Rebecca is a vivacious being who finds herself in all sorts of trouble. She's also very endearing. There are a few references to tea throughout. My favorite is when Rebecca brings tea into the parlor to serve some guests. She (about 12 at the time) servers herself tea, with the adults, and gives the other children milk. She has moved herself into adulthood, and taking tea is an important designation.

I don't want to mislead you - I also read fiction throughout the rest of the year. It's just that I wax a little nostalgic in the summer. I already have next summer's series planned - a return to the Black Stallion books!

If any of you would like to recommend a book that takes you back to your childhood, or one that has delightful references to tea, please respond!

Also - be sure to check out my blog on Sunday! I'm taking my first visit to an Indiana tearoom tomorrow, called the Nutmeg House. I'll write a review, with photos.

No comments: