Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy Winter Solstice!

Happy Winter Solstice! During these 24-hours of 2005, we have the most "night." Instead of mourning the darkness, I like to think about having more time to look at the stars. To celebrate, the DH and I went for a walk this morning to watch the sun rise. I came back and had a yummy bowl of oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, and Black Pearl tea.

We'll mark the sun set tonight, as well. Actually, that would be about now.

Starting tomorrow, all of us in the Northern hemisphere begin the slow tilt toward the sun. Reminds me of the song, "Here comes the sun...."

Gotta go catch the fading light!

4 comments:

Sonya said...

Nice description.

Anonymous said...

I love the Winter Solstice. There are so many layers to it. There are the Pagan/Xmas symbols of good cheer, benevolence, and all that the evergreen and mistletoe symbolize. Then there is the sleepy dormancy of the earth covered in snow, animals hibernating. And then the deep night of the solstice itself when the astral opens like a silent ocean of faint starlight to regenerate and soothe any psyche that wanders in. All this followed by the return of the light and the lengthening of the days....
I love it.

Val Pierce

Lady Arden said...

What is black peral tea?

Anonymous said...

Solstice descriptions abound, I could not have stated it better. The first day of winter is one of my favorite days of the year!