Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Teashop Girls and Whole Wheat Scones

Sometimes I find gems in surprising places! I'm always on the lookout for a good whole wheat scone recipe. These recipes aren't that easy to find. I recently found one that I love, in a novel for young adults! The novel is called The Teashop Girls and is written by Laura Schaefer. See the official website here.


The story is about Annie, an 8th-grader. Annie convinces her parents to allow her to work part time in the teashop that she adores, run by her grandmother. (Grandma Louisa is my favorite character - she's a hip gal!) Annie and her gal pals (the Teashop Girls) struggle through growing pains, crushes, and manage to rescue the teashop from demise. It's a sweet and touching story. Given my recent discussions about positive-message books for girls, I give this one a thumbs-up. It gives a fairly accurate depiction (as I remember it) of the struggles of middle-school, while allowing the girls to work things out and be the heroines.




Now back to those scones....

They are fabulous! One of the best whole wheat scone recipes I've found. And I love the name: Louisa's Very Best Spiced Blueberry Scones.

Since this is a relatively new book, I'm not going to post the recipe (staying true to my recipe attribution policy). However, you can find the recipe for yourself if you check this book out from the library or pick it up at your local bookstore. (It would make the perfect gift for a middle-schooler in your life.) I replaced the sugar with honey and used skim milk instead of half-and-half. And they were so yummy!

If you've read this book, please leave your thoughts on it here!

3/17 update - check out the Tea Pages' review with this author! Go here.

11 comments:

Teresa's New Life said...

These sound like just the books for my soon to be step grand daughter who will be eleven soon. She loves drinking tea and is a very mature and independent girl.

Steph said...

Hi, Teresa - I think she'd love it!

Angela McRae said...

Oh wow, a middle schooler tea book! I MUST get a copy! Thanks for sharing this!

Brittiny said...

Twas a great book for the age group it is meant for. It's a clean (PG) book with life lessons and an interesting, "on the edge of your seat," plot.

I liked it. :)

Brittiny said...

Oh, forgot to add...

I haven't tried any of the recipes in the book yet... but now I'm interested in trying that scone recipe.

Great post! :)

mep said...

I love reading YA books and will check this one out at the library! Thanks for the recomendation!

Rosemary said...

Thanks for the tip about the scones... they look fabulous! My niece is reading the book right now.. .so once I pry it out of her hands, I'll check out the recipe!
Nancy

Amy said...

The teashop girls reminds me of the Quilter girls.

Esme

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm so glad to meet you!!! Your blog is delightful, with all the info I love: T E A !

These scones look amazing. Thanks for sharing the book with us!

parTea lady said...

The scones look delicious. I haven't tried them with whole wheat. It would be nice to make them in a healthier version.

The Teashop Girls books sound great. I'll see if my local library has them. Thanks.

Lisa said...

Sound like I need to check out this read for my daughter too!

:)