Wednesday, April 07, 2010

My "New" Favorite Outfit

This is my "new" favorite outfit, with new in quotes because the dress is vintage and the sweater has been reworked.  I am very happy with the way this turned out!

The dress has the original Ladies Garmet Workers label inside. 


I must tell you - I don't believe clothes are made to this level of quality anymore.  Look at the finishing for the edge.  And, the pockets and zipper facing are both lined in the contrasting fabric.  The construction of this piece is a thing to admire (and learn from!). 

The DH calls this my June Cleaver look.  That works for me, as I describe my style as classic with an edge.  I like the length of the skirt, just below my kneee.  It's good and swishy when I walk.
Here's the dress without the sweater.

More on the sweather in a separate post.
Roxyred found this on one of her many vintage/thrifting excursions!  Thank you!  I love it!

*Photo shoot by the DH.  It's so fun being his star!

16 comments:

parTea lady said...

It looks great on you. I really like the style of the dress with its contrast trim and front zipper. You are right about the quality construction of older garments.

Looking forward to seeing how you reworked the sweater.

Teresa's New Life said...

Very stylish & you look like a lttle girl who's just been given a new party dress!

Linda Jennings said...

You look great in this outfit! And, you are certainly right, they don't make things like they used to!!

Ginger said...

I love your outfit. I really like vintage clothing. I've seen a pattern similar to your dress but I can't remember where. Probably one of the vintage reprints by Vogue or Simplicity.

sweetcakes said...

Adorable! And so you!

Anonymous said...

Nice photography. And you are right. Clothing quality is really poor these days. It's a "Disposable World", unfortunately.

Mary Jane said...

Wow, a hem with real hem tape and what wonderful details. You look absolutely fabulous in that outfit. Don't you just love swishy skirts?!

I remember when I made my first suit and made bound buttonholes and bound seams. It was very detailed and I felt so elegant and smartly dressed when I wore it.

What other treasures do you have in your closet?

Marlena said...

Love the dress. Love the workmanship and it looks great on you, you star!

Melanie said...

Very cute! And I agree - just below the knee is the perfect length!

Marilyn Miller said...

Cute dress and sweater. Yes, construction has certainly gone down hill with moving it all off shore and asking for cheaper and cheaper production by the apparel companies. Having worked in that business I can certainly see it.

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I do LOVE this outfit, and yes, it's an updated June Cleaver look! I also think you are right about the finishing techniques, too. Today we just hope it's sewn straight and that's about it.

(Tell your DH he did a mighty fine job on the photos!)

La Tea Dah said...

A beautiful outfit! I love the dress --- it reminds me of a favorite of mine way back in the --- errrr --- 70's. Have I dated it correctly?

Dresses are not made nearly the same as they were then. Even home sewers use techniques that would make my garment construction professors cringe! :D

LaTeaDah

Susan said...

That dress style is a timeless classic! Looks great on you!
I like clothes that move.

Tava Tea said...

You look beautiful in the red sweater.

Tava Tea said...

I say you start out a new fashion! :)

PR said...

Nice dress!