Sunday, May 12, 2013

Taiwan: Night Market


This tour should be called the tea AND food tour!  Taiwan food is amazing, with its influence of Chinese, Japanese and local flavors, not to mention all the fresh fruit!  We've had guava, pineapple, lychee, wax apple, peaches, cantaloupe, plum, watermelon, mango, papaya, and more different types of bananas than I knew existed.  Taiwan is a very safe place to eat fruit and street foods.

Taiwan is famous for its night markets with stand after stand of snack food. These are very popular and lots of fun!  We visited the night market on a warm and muggy evening. It reminded me of being at the county fair, except way better food and lots more people.

Some of the things our group tried (see below):  Fish balls, Taiwanese sausage, sticky rice and peanuts in sausage skin, Taiwanese fried chicken (a specialty, really good!) and oyster/egg scramble, and stinky tofu! This infamous treat is fermented tofu that is deep fried and served with a sauce and cabbage. Our group described it as smelling a little barnyardish. I liked it, tho!  The taste is milder than the smell. We also had fresh fruit juices, and cream, sesame and red bean fillings inside a waffle-like batter made into a shell.




6 comments:

Teafan said...

What an adventure! I'd love to try it all.

Marilyn Miller said...

You are indeed having a wonderful adventure. In a way I am jealous that our group wasn't as fun as the group you are traveling with. What adventures you are having. I can't wait to hear more.

La Tea Dah said...

What an abundance of fruits and vegetables! And I would love to try stinky tofu. I think I would like it once I got past the smell. ;-) Thank you for sharing of your fun adventures. It looks like you are having a wonderful time and many opportunities!

LaDonna
Gracious Hospitality

Angela McRae said...

What a treat to get to try so many new things! Much as I love tropical fruit (I settle for the flavor in my teas), I would have loved having access to so much of this. And the other foods just sound plain fun!

Rosemary said...

Wow! Such a culinary adventure!

amherstrose said...

Oh, Stephanie, I am wishing that I could be on this grand tea and foodie adventure with you and am feeling especially happy for you that you can safely eat all of the wonderful things that you are enjoying. Have you encountered Iron Eggs yet? A friend told me to try them if I ever went to Taiwan.

More food photos please!?!?!?!

Hugs,
Mary Jane