Tuesday, December 12, 2006

ADHD


A Dear Hubby's Dilemma.....

My life partner is the most environmentally-concerned person I know. I love that about him. And sometimes it makes me laugh. Take this morning....it's Tuesday Recycle Day. The recycling truck comes about 6 am. The recycling is supposed to be curbside by 5 am. Most people put out the recycling the night before. Not us.

The DH gets it ready the night before (nicely sorted into like groups) and gets up at 5 am to put out the recycling so that it doesn't blow away or get wet. (Wet cardboard is against the rules, according to the city recycling authorities.)

However, the plot thickens....we've noticed that it very often rains on Recycle Tuesdays. So, the DH doesn't put out the recycling because it would get wet. He waits, thinking there will be a break in the weather, hoping he will still be able to get it out before the truck comes. (This is now ~5:20 am.) He has been staking out the neighbor's recycle boxes -- with wet cardboard and unsorted other contents. As he waits, what does he see? The recycle truck pulls up and dumps in the neighbor's recycling. The DH has a dilemma!

To top it all off, they don't put the recycling in different bins. The DH notices they dump it all together and crush it in a plain old dump track. So, there's glass shards, wet cardboard, crushed plastic, newspaper and aluminum cans all together.

I joined the DH (commiserating on the floor of the living room) this morning. He greets me with these words, "I'm going to City Hall to find the truth. Do they really recycle, or do they take it to the landfill? And what's the deal with the wet cardboard?" It makes me laugh because this will become an adventure, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a good chuckle over this... my DH gets on other people's cases when they don't recycle glass and plastic, even in their own homes. He'll even sort their stuff at their place sometimes. :D We sort our own and take it to the recycle bins in the city because our trash service doesn't offer it. I would be dismayed to think that Bloomington doesn't actually recycle. Can't wait to hear how the drama unfolds...

Anonymous said...

Wow! Somebody's head is gonna roll if Tom finds out they aren't really recycling! I hope that isn't the case! I got your message last night, and I'll try to catch up with you tonight.
Love ya,
Keri