Friday, November 23, 2007

Canopy of Lights










Image from downtownbloomington.com

It's finally cold here in the Midwest! (I think I've said that twice before, then it kept warming up!) I think this might really be winter. Tonight, I am looking forward to the canopy of lights, a celebration in which the courthouse square is lit with holiday lights. Carolers abound, the mayor speaks (and everyone wishes he'd hurry), girl scout troops sell hot chocolate. It's great fun! Tonight will be wonderfully chilly.

Here's a nice winter and tea quote for this festive Friday:

"Surely everyone is aware of the divine pleasures which attend a wintry fireside: candles at four o'clock, warm hearth rugs, tea, a fair tea-maker, shutters closed, curtains flowing in ample draperies to the floor, whilst the wind and rain are raging audibly without."

-- Thomas De Quincey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quote. I love the feeling of closeness I get in the fall and winter, as the colder temperatures draw us inside. You can't help but get closer to others over warm drinks and around candles or fires.