Saturday, February 09, 2008

Water Matters

Thanks to my friend and work colleague, J, I can share with you this incredible visual! This photo shows how important water is to the quality of your tea!

J brewed the same tea for the same length of time, using two different waters.

From J: "The mug on the left has horrid tea brewed with [bottled water], while the one on the right is my Lipton in its rightful color and taste!"


















There's no hard-and-fast rule I can give you on how to choose water. I do, however, have a guideline: If you don't like the way the water tastes alone, don't use it for your tea. I use a Brita filter for my water and find it produces a very nice cup of tea.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm famous! You helped me with the information that tea is affected by the amount of minerals in the water. Bottled water can have more/less minerals. I am glad to have my regular water back and enjoy my Lipton again.

artandtea said...

Hi Steph,
I wholeheartedly agree that to get the true high quality taste from your tea leaf, it is imperative to use high quality water. I remember years ago we had a new staff member and he brewed a pot of tea with water from the tap. It was positively awful. We get regular shipments of fresh spring water delivered to work and at home, I use a Brita filter like you.
-Karen

Jessica Moreau Berry said...

hehehe...you'd be horrified with my tap water! It smells like rotten eggs, and makes my bathtub rusty red! I have to use the bottled stuff!!!

Joyce said...

We are SO fortunate to have good water where we are at. It's from natural springs which is amazing and I never would believe my friends when they would tell me that until I READ it myself in an article. Funny. I just thought we were drinking everyone's else dumped out water, etc. from all the way up the Mississippi River......since we are nearly at the end of the road. HA! I felt so much better after learn that.

Alice said...

That is really a surprise. I don't know much about bottled water as water from my tap tastes fine to me.

Linda Jennings said...

This is a great visual. It prooves what I have been taught in tea classes.