Thursday, January 08, 2009

Using Old Calendars


If you're like me, you still have a couple of beautiful 2008 calendars around. Instead of sending them to the landfill, reinvent them into lovely things. You could use them as wrapping for small gifts, make wallets like I did here, or make envelopes.

For making envelopes, you'll need:
  • Pretty calendar pages
  • An envelope template - mine came from Stampin' Up, but others are on the market
  • A pencil
  • Scissors
  • Rubber cement (my preference) or glue
Step 1: Pick your page. Here, I am using a flower calendar page. I want to focus on the word simple.

Step 2: Place the template.
You'll want to play around with the template placement to get the best visual display of calendar elements.

Step 3: Trace around the template.
Don't forget to trace the fold lines. (Once you get used to the template, you may not need to trace the fold lines.)


Step 4: Cut and fold. Cut out the envelope. I find that small scissors work best. Then fold on the lines. I'm not a patient person, but I've learned that it saves me time in the long run if I take both parts of this step slowly.

Step 5: Glue three edges. Leave one edge open for slipping in the letter or notecard. I prefer using rubber cement because it doesn't dry immediately. Also, if I have any extra that smooshes out, I can rub it off. You'll get a feel for how much room you have for the glue. Be careful that you don't inadvertently glue the envelope shut! The trick is to keep the glue on the flaps, but not the inside of the envelope.

Step 6: Let the glue dry. I like to press my envelopes under a heavy book.

Step 7: Make a corresponding notecard. Write a letter and send off to make someone's day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda and I have put some of our favorite calendar pictures into frames and decorated the house with them. No sense wasting Ansel Adams photography, or things like that.

Steph said...

What a great idea!

Philigry said...

i love this idea! beautiful pictures!

said...

Moi t'were having some
decaf-black/rooibos chai tea sooooo I had-ta check your Cup Of Tea blog - just surfin'.

WifeyWv and moi's calendars are hardcopy logs that are archived.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

Marilyn Miller said...

What a clever idea!

parTea lady said...

Great idea. Made me think of the templates I have for making paper purses - they would also work with the calendar pages. Thanks.

mep said...

I held on to several calendars for years in the hopes of framing some of my favorite pages, but I finally let them go. I still think it's a great idea though. I love the idea of hand-crafted envelopes. Do they sell the templates in craft stores?

Tea Time With Melody said...

Boy, you are pretty crafty. I like our ideas. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Nice demo on making envelops from calendars! I'll have to get myself a template since I have tons of calendars I've saved over the years but no template.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I live in southern IN, if that helps any. :)