Saturday, November 26, 2016

Toraya Cafe - Kyoto

Beautiful views of the interior garden at the Toraya Cafe

One of my favorite experiences while in Kyoto was wandering little streets, with my dear friend AM, and discovering the Toraya Cafe (Toraya Karyo Kyoto Ichijo). Returning to this little piece of heaven is a must-do the next time I visit. 

I had known of Toraya, a famous maker of Japanese confections and tea sweets, from my tea studies. The company has been around since the 16th century, and is well known for its yokan. At the cafe, you can enjoy these sweets and a delicious bowl of matcha or brewed tea. If the weather is nice (and in late October, it was perfect), sit outside and take in the peace and beauty of the garden. 


I love this photo!

Enjoy these photos, and imagine a peaceful breeze that gently ripples the water, delicious and artful sweets, tea that both stimulates and soothes, and nurturing conversation. This was my experience. 


Matcha and kuri (chestnut) yokan


Sencha, with an edamame custard with brown sugar glaze



I will close my eyes and go there too.

If you visit Kyoto, here's a tip: One of the retail shops is near the west side of the Imperial Palace. The cafe is tucked about a block down the side street.

6 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Your stories and pictures make me want to go there so so much!

Margie said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely experience with us!

Teafan said...

That is just beautiful, the setting, the food. Lovely photo of you and your friend.

Angela McRae said...

Oh my, I've got to use my downtime during the holidays to catch up on your travels! :) Just wanted to be sure and wish you and yours a very happy holiday season!

relevanttealeaf said...

Such beautiful and serene pictures of a wonderful trip! You've become quite the world traveler, and we're fortunate to be taken along with you via your blog. I hope your Christmas was joyous, Steph, and pray God's love and blessings in 2017. Hugs, Phyllis

Rosemary said...

Such amazing photos - you have 'captured' tranquility!